Sunday, January 25, 2009

Macon Stake Conference

Going to stake conference this weekend was a neat experience. The chapel and cultural hall was filled for the Saturday night adult session. I was impressed at how many priesthood holders were there - mostly dressed in their suits and looking great.

The visiting authority was Elder Mervyn B. Arnold of the Second Quorum of the Seventy. He and his wife were terrific speakers. The main theme of the conference was the temple and families. The spirit was strong. It was a very uplifting experience.

As I sat there last night listening to a sister in the stake talk about the temple, I realized how much I have missed going to the temple. It doesn't seem quite right that missionaries should be deprived of that great blessing. I could really use a temple fix. We will be allowed to go the last month of our mission. If there was a temple within our mission boundaries, we could go, but we can't leave the mission.

Elder Arnold came to our mission office after conference. He interviewed the assistants, and then had us all gather in the presidents office, and gave us instructions about being committed missionaries. He emphasized what a blessing it is to have senior couples in the mission field. He said there are many who could go, but won't go on missions. The brethren are very concerned about the shortage.

Tomorrow we are going to Zone Conference. We will receive more instruction from Elder Arnold. He and his wife live in Taylorsville - they've been there for years. When he was first called as a mission president to Brazil, they took along a young family of six children. He was in the construction business.

Love you all so much!
Sister Barlow

No comments:

Countdown to the Homecoming