Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Southern Fish Fry

We were invited to a fish fry last evening with the same family who had us a few weeks ago. They use a gas burner that holds a very large pot of hot oil. The carp they catch is breaded and dropped in the pot. It comes out crisp and tender. Then they cook sliced potatoes, and they come out crisp and tender. Then they cook "hush puppies", a breaded mix kind of like dumplings that has chopped onions in the batter. They also come out crisp and tender. We also had grits. Our hostess likes to add cheese. It kind of reminds you of mush. It was okay. We also had fresh fruit and trifle. Talk about fattening! I will never be the same. I am truly fat! I took a coconut cream pie. I kept one at home. Dad and I had some tonight. It is honestly the most delicious coconut cream pie I have ever made. I bought the crusts unbaked at Wal-mart. They were really good. As always, the southerners talk and talk in those darling accents. I couldn't understand half what they said last night. I just sit and smile and try to take it all in.

I have given some thought to ask the mission president if I can go around and clean the missionary apartments in the mission. I think I would be much better suited to a "work" mission, and maybe I could lose some weight.

We haven't been affected by any of the weather that has hit Atlanta and Macon. Things are calm and comfortable down here.

Love to all!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Those Southerners sure like their fried foods, don't they? Are you gonna be cookin' like that when you get home? Who knows, you might become addicted to it! And you liked the Wal-Mart pie crusts, huh? Good idea! I can make pie all the time if I don't have to worry about the crust! Thanks for the tip.

Are you sure you want to clean missionaries' apartments? yuck. heh heh.

Love you!

Countdown to the Homecoming